Wednesday, July 25, 2012

green tea soymilk, fresh cola Mentos, green melon #newthingstriedtoday

Green melon, peeled and unpeeled Rambutan

    

    Continued the condo hunt today but I'm going to keep mum on that for now as to not jinx some of the good luck that finally came our way. I am, however, going to brag about the phrases I was throwing around like I was some Thai pro (or you know, someone who has been here almost a week and really should know these extremely simple phrases).

   Pay attention those who plan to visit (all of you):


Sa-wat-dee + ka (If the speaker is female. Which I am. For men the suffix is + krap)   -   hi/hello


Khob-khun + ka  -    thank-you


  That was the extent of it. But I used them A LOT. Another I wrote down at our shortened version of Thai culture training (more to come on a weekend in September) is


Khor-tod + ka  -  sorry/excuse me


   A key phrase because I'm Canadian and apologize and exorbitant/unnecessary amount daily.


   Thai's seem to LOVE IT when you attempt to speak their language. They may also be laughing at me because I'm absolutely butchering it, but it's certainly a very different experience from the French-Canadians* in the Ottawa/Gatineau area. They are responsible for the cliché "if looks could kill"'s creation, which is something I experienced frequently when using a broken version of French (affectionately referred to as Franglais) back home.


   That's all for now, I'm off to the dinner/social scheduled for our orientation week. Tomorrow our pictures are being taken for the staff wall/yearbook/etc, we'll learn about the curriculum and I will finally hear my finalized schedule!




*Granted- French-Canadians have not always been treated well by the English-Canadian portion of the country. I don't mean to stereotype, this is not the case for all the French persons that I've attempted to communicate with... But it did happen to me A LOT.


4 comments:

  1. That's not a lychee, Emma!!!!! I expect you to know better, what with you claiming to being a Thai pro, and all!

    I'd tell you what it is, but then what would the fun be? And where would the learning occur? I'm all about lifelong learning, because I'm an Ontario-trained teacher, and that is one thing that I learned I should support . . .

    So your homework is to go figure out what that fruit is, and then tell everyone what it *really* is!!!! =P

    Hope all's well, hugs to you and Kelsey xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been tooold! I just forgot what the actual name was so I never corrected it. Is it Rombutan?? Or something close to that...

    Teachable moment eh? Nerd.

    Hugs back (basement) roomie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Close. Rambutan. Remember it for the next time, and all times subsequent :-)

    Teachable moment - pure sarcasm. I don't have a job yet. Probably says something about my teaching abilities and the delights I may or may not experience through finding teachable moments in mundane things.

    Hope you're having super fun times!

    Sonia xo

    ReplyDelete